EpiWorld speeds up commercialisation of SiC devices with AIXTRON
November 08, 2019AIXTRON SE has provided an AIX G5 WW C system to EpiWorld International Co., Ltd for the further development of next generation silicon carbide (SiC) epitaxial wafers mainly used for the manufacturing of power devices for automotive applications.
Covalent Metrology, Rigaku extend partnership with new line
November 06, 2019Rigaku, a producer of X-ray metrology technology, has installed two of its analytical instruments at the Sunnyvale, California service lab of Covalent Metrology, a provider of analytical services to advanced materials innovation companies.
ZF and Cree partners up to advance the electric drive
November 05, 2019ZF Friedrichshafen is teaming up with silicon carbide semiconductor specialist Cree, to create industry-leading, highly efficient electric drivelines.
Cree nearing groundbreaking on Utica plant
November 01, 2019Cree Inc. said this week it plans to begin working on its USD 1 billion factory, announced in September, located near Utica, New York.
POET’s sale of DenseLight Semi to close
October 31, 2019POET Technologies Inc. announced the sale of its subsidiary, DenseLight Semiconductors Pte. Ltd. to DenseLight Semiconductor Technology (Shanghai) Co. Ltd. is scheduled to close on or before Friday, November 8, 2019.
Odyssey Semiconductor picks up wafer fab
October 31, 2019Ithaca, New York’s Odyssey Semiconductor Technologies, specializing in high-voltage power switching components and systems based on proprietary gallium nitride (GaN) processing technology, has acquired an integrated semiconductor design, fabrication, test, and packaging facility.
NIBE acquires 51% of shares in Therm-X of California
October 28, 2019Swedish heating and control company, NIBE Industrier AB, has signed an agreement to acquire 51% of the shares in Therm-X of California, Inc. and has an option to acquire the remaining 49%.
First Solar unveils new Ohio factory
October 25, 2019First Solar, Inc. has fired up production at its new photovoltaic (PV) module manufacturing facility in Lake Township, Ohio, the company’s second factory in the United States.
STMicroelectronics acquires the rest of Swedish Norstel
October 25, 2019The French-Italian semiconductor manufacturer says that it has decided to acquire the remaining share capital of the Swedish SiC wafer manufacturer.
Cree, NY CREATES announce first SiC wafer demo
October 24, 2019Cree and New York Center for Research, Economic Advancement, Technology, Engineering, and Science (NY CREATES), marked the start of their partnership with the completion of their first silicon carbide test wafers last week.
U.S. silicon industry presses Congress for inclusion in tariff talks
October 23, 2019Three major U.S. silicon industry manufacturers urged members of congress to include tariffs, imposed by the Chinese on U.S. exports of polysilicon to China since 2014, in ongoing U.S. trade talks with the country.
Silicon Labs acquires Qulsar's IEEE 1588 software and modules
October 23, 2019Silicon Labs has acquired all IEEE 1588 precision time protocol (PTP) software and module assets from Qulsar, a provider of PTP grandmasters, gateways and other system-level synchronization-based solutions.
US DoD to invest in SkyWater’s domestic technology foundry
October 22, 2019The U.S. DoD is planning to invest up to USD 170 million in SkyWater Technology for a project that will enhance its microelectronics capabilities and the strategic radiation hardened (rad-hard) market.
GLOBALFOUNDRIES buys Smartcom’s PDK team
October 21, 2019GLOBALFOUNDRIES has acquired the process design kit (PDK) engineering team from Smartcom Bulgaria AD to enhance GF’s scale and capabilities.
ESA contracts consortium for high-performance compute board
October 10, 2019A consortium, led by Cobham Gaisler, has been awarded a development contract from the European Space Agency (ESA) that will result in the design of an accelerator board suitable for Computer Vision (CV) and Artificial Intelligence (AI) applications for in-orbit space use.
Bosch is betting on SiC for electromobility
October 08, 2019Nowadays, all cars feature semiconductors; there is generally more than 50 of them in every vehicle that rolls of the production line.
Scaling up production of solar modules
October 07, 2019The European Union has awarded EUR 10.6 million in funding to Hiperion. This grant will aid in establishing a pilot assembly line to bring photovoltaic technology, designed by Swiss startup Insolight, closer to market.
Cree, SUNY sign lease as Utica plant takes shapeLoad more news
October 03, 2019Cree announced it will lease office and clean room space at the SUNY Polytechnic Institute campus in Albany while the semiconductor manufacturer builds a USD 1 million facility near Utica, the Albany Business Review is reporting.