© Samsung Business | April 13, 2012
Inside a Samsung 8000 Series Smart TV
The good folks at Chipworks took a USD 3'000 per-piece Samsung 8000 Series Smart TV and had a look inside.
There is a strong ridged frame to keep it all together; several layers that include clear plastic and a thin white sheet of plastic to (likely) diffuse the edge lighting. The main circuit board is housed in the aluminum structure. The I/Os run along the bottom and the image engine chip in the middle under all that thermal compound. The Samsung 8000 series TV is chock-a-block with Samsung semiconductor technology From memory to applications processors to imaging technology, Samsung has a lot of design wins and intellectual property in this TV.
"At least they didn’t try working an accelerometer or gyroscope into a 55'' TV because the use cases for that could be dangerous!"The main board features the SDP1106 which has DNIe markings on the package. This is a large chip, measuring 8.86mm x 8.94mm across, and thermally “connected” to the back for heat dissipation, featuring the latest generation 32nm high-k metal-gate technology from Samsung. A second board features more of the TV capability and two more large chips from Samsung. First, the SDP1107 LCD timing controller (7.09mm x 7.30mm) and the SDP1111 Echo-FP DTV MCU/LED frame rate controller (7.4mm x 8.23mm). There is also 1 GB of Samsung DDR3 SDRAM. Here is the list of some of the other silicon that we have catalogued:
- Alpha & Omega - AOZ1051PI - Regulator
- Alpha & Omega - AOZ1360AI - Power switch
- Alpha Imaging Technology Corp. - AIT8422F - Image processor
- Atmel Corporation - ATMLH202 - EEPROM
- Broadcom - BCM20705A1KWFBG - Bluetooth
- Broadcom - BCM20733A1KFB1G - Bluetooth
- Cirque - SD806A - Touch controllers
- Conexant - CX20708-21Z - System-on-Chip (SoC)
- Diodes Inc. - AP1117Z - Regulator
- Diodes Inc. - AP7173 - Regulator
- Diodes Inc. - APX1117E-18 - Voltage regulator
- Diodes Inc. - APX1117E-33 - Voltage regulator
- EON - EN25F10-100GIP - Serial flash memory
- Fairchild - FDD5N50U - N-channel FET
- Genesys - GL852G - USB controller
- Infineon - ICE2PCS06 - Power factor controller
- Intel - 2811 - Unclassified
- Intersil, Inc. - ISL24826IRZ - Unclassified
- Macronix - MX25L6406EM2I-12G - Serial flash memory
- National Semiconductor - VM19AG - Unclassified
- NXP Semiconductors - BYC5X-600 - Other
- Ralink - RT5572N - WiFi SoC
- Realtek - RTL8201F - Ethernet Transceiver
- Rohm - BD9329AEFJ - Regulator
- Samsung - K4B1G1646G-BCH9 - DDR3 SDRAM
- Samsung - K4B2G1646C-HCMA - DDR3 SDRAM
- Samsung - KLM2G1HE3F-B001 - Multichip package
- Samsung - SDP1101 - SoC
- Samsung - SDP1104 - Unclassified
- Samsung - SDP1106 - SoC
- Samsung - SDP1107 - SoC
- Samsung - SDP1111 - SoC
- Samsung - SENX70 - Unclassified
- Samsung - UN55ES8000F_Pri-Camera - Camera module
- SEMTECH - RClamp0504FA - Other
- Sensitron Semi - MBRF2080CTL - Other
- Sensitron Semi - SDURF1030CT - Power rectifier
- Silicon Image Inc. - Sil9587CNUC-3 - Microprocessor
- STMicroelectronics - M24512RP - EEPROM
- Texas Instruments - 09048 - Unclassified
- Texas Instruments - MAX3222ECDB - RS232 driver/receiver
- Texas Instruments - TAS5735 - Unclassified
- Texas Instruments - TPS54821 - DC-DC converter
- Texas Instruments - TPS65167A - Power supply
- Texas Instruments - TS3DS10224 - MUX devices
- Toshiba - TC74VHC4052AFT - Data converters/multiplexers/switches
- Toshiba - TC74VHCV541FT - Other
- Unclassified - 7512N - Unclassified
- Unclassified - 9707A - Unclassified
- Unclassified - AJE - Unclassified
- Unclassified - SLC5012M - Unclassified
- Vishay Siliconix - Si4435DY - P-channel FET
- Weltrend Semiconductor - WT61P806 - USB controller
- Winbond - W25Q16BVS1G - Serial Flash
- Wolfson -WM8904G - Audio CODEC
Qualcomm & LGE enter into a new global patent license deal Qualcomm Incorporated says that LGE has entered into a new direct worldwide patent license...
OnRobot opens first U.S. office for R&D OnRobot, manufacturer of end-of-arm tooling for collaborative robot applications...
Rutronik & Kingstate inks global distribution agreement Rutronik Elektronische Bauelemente GmbH and the Taiwanese manufacturer of...
Smith earns ISO/IEC 17025 accreditation at its European facility Smith says it has earned accreditation under the ISO/IEC 17025 standard at its recently...
Data Respons inks another contract in Germany Data Respons has received a contract of NOK 17 million (EUR 1.7 million) with a German...
Micralyne increases capability with new equipment from SPTS MEMS fabricator Micralyne Inc., announces that the company has purchased a Versalis fxP...
Micron starts volume production of 1z nm DRAM process node The Boise Idaho memory company says it has started mass production of 16Gb DDR4...
Shinkawa & APIC Yamada are now a part of YAMAHA Yamaha Motor Robotics Holdings (YMRH) has recently been formed around the...
Smith receives CCAP-101 certification at European distribution center Electronic components distributor, Smith, says that its recently upgraded warehouse in...
Applied Industrial Technologies to acquire Olympus Controls Applied Industrial Technologies has signed a definitive agreement to acquire Olympus...
Helix Semiconductors appoints VP of Engineering Fabless power semiconductor company Helix Semiconductors has appointed Philip Crawley as...
Smith Relocates Its Austin Office Electronic components and semiconductor distributor, Smith, is relocating its Austin...
Osram says negotiations with ams are constructive Osram says that it has held constructive discussions on a Business Combination...
Continental aims to reduce lead quantities in electronic components Continental says that it intends to immediately reduce the lead content in some of its electronic...
Eaton, KPIT forge alliance to develop next-gen technologies Power management company Eaton has chosen global tech company KPIT to support its...
Synopsys to Acquire QTronic GmbH Silicon Valley-based Synopsys has signed a definitive agreement to acquire German...
Cree and ON Semi sign multi-year silicon carbide wafer supply agreement The companies have entered into a multi-year agreement where Cree will produce and...
Osram responds to ams' offer - decides to start negotiations "In our preliminary assessment, the financing concept presented appears binding and viable,"...
ams makes a u-turn - submits an offer for Osram ams says that it has submitted a fully financed proposal to Osram Licht AG for an all-cash takeover offer for 100% of the share capital of the company at a price of EUR 38.50 per share.
76% of IC products expected to see flat growth in 2019 After flying high for two years, DRAM sales growth is forecast to rank last in 2019, worst...
S&T AG: On track after first half of 2019 The S&T AG group is on track with its targets after the end of the first six months of 2019...
Nidec to form a JV with GAC Components Nidec Corp. aims to establish a joint venture for the manufacture automotive...
Diodes to acquire Lite-On Semi Diodes Inc. has entered into an acquisition agreement with Lite-On Semiconductor Corp., a...
Assembly equipment moves into Murata's Iwami facility Passive component manufacturer Murata has begun with the installation of additional...Load more news