© Samsung Business | April 13, 2012
Inside a Samsung 8000 Series Smart TV
The good folks at Chipworks took a USD 3'000 per-piece Samsung 8000 Series Smart TV and had a look inside.
There is a strong ridged frame to keep it all together; several layers that include clear plastic and a thin white sheet of plastic to (likely) diffuse the edge lighting. The main circuit board is housed in the aluminum structure. The I/Os run along the bottom and the image engine chip in the middle under all that thermal compound. The Samsung 8000 series TV is chock-a-block with Samsung semiconductor technology From memory to applications processors to imaging technology, Samsung has a lot of design wins and intellectual property in this TV.
"At least they didn’t try working an accelerometer or gyroscope into a 55'' TV because the use cases for that could be dangerous!"The main board features the SDP1106 which has DNIe markings on the package. This is a large chip, measuring 8.86mm x 8.94mm across, and thermally “connected” to the back for heat dissipation, featuring the latest generation 32nm high-k metal-gate technology from Samsung. A second board features more of the TV capability and two more large chips from Samsung. First, the SDP1107 LCD timing controller (7.09mm x 7.30mm) and the SDP1111 Echo-FP DTV MCU/LED frame rate controller (7.4mm x 8.23mm). There is also 1 GB of Samsung DDR3 SDRAM. Here is the list of some of the other silicon that we have catalogued:
- Alpha & Omega - AOZ1051PI - Regulator
- Alpha & Omega - AOZ1360AI - Power switch
- Alpha Imaging Technology Corp. - AIT8422F - Image processor
- Atmel Corporation - ATMLH202 - EEPROM
- Broadcom - BCM20705A1KWFBG - Bluetooth
- Broadcom - BCM20733A1KFB1G - Bluetooth
- Cirque - SD806A - Touch controllers
- Conexant - CX20708-21Z - System-on-Chip (SoC)
- Diodes Inc. - AP1117Z - Regulator
- Diodes Inc. - AP7173 - Regulator
- Diodes Inc. - APX1117E-18 - Voltage regulator
- Diodes Inc. - APX1117E-33 - Voltage regulator
- EON - EN25F10-100GIP - Serial flash memory
- Fairchild - FDD5N50U - N-channel FET
- Genesys - GL852G - USB controller
- Infineon - ICE2PCS06 - Power factor controller
- Intel - 2811 - Unclassified
- Intersil, Inc. - ISL24826IRZ - Unclassified
- Macronix - MX25L6406EM2I-12G - Serial flash memory
- National Semiconductor - VM19AG - Unclassified
- NXP Semiconductors - BYC5X-600 - Other
- Ralink - RT5572N - WiFi SoC
- Realtek - RTL8201F - Ethernet Transceiver
- Rohm - BD9329AEFJ - Regulator
- Samsung - K4B1G1646G-BCH9 - DDR3 SDRAM
- Samsung - K4B2G1646C-HCMA - DDR3 SDRAM
- Samsung - KLM2G1HE3F-B001 - Multichip package
- Samsung - SDP1101 - SoC
- Samsung - SDP1104 - Unclassified
- Samsung - SDP1106 - SoC
- Samsung - SDP1107 - SoC
- Samsung - SDP1111 - SoC
- Samsung - SENX70 - Unclassified
- Samsung - UN55ES8000F_Pri-Camera - Camera module
- SEMTECH - RClamp0504FA - Other
- Sensitron Semi - MBRF2080CTL - Other
- Sensitron Semi - SDURF1030CT - Power rectifier
- Silicon Image Inc. - Sil9587CNUC-3 - Microprocessor
- STMicroelectronics - M24512RP - EEPROM
- Texas Instruments - 09048 - Unclassified
- Texas Instruments - MAX3222ECDB - RS232 driver/receiver
- Texas Instruments - TAS5735 - Unclassified
- Texas Instruments - TPS54821 - DC-DC converter
- Texas Instruments - TPS65167A - Power supply
- Texas Instruments - TS3DS10224 - MUX devices
- Toshiba - TC74VHC4052AFT - Data converters/multiplexers/switches
- Toshiba - TC74VHCV541FT - Other
- Unclassified - 7512N - Unclassified
- Unclassified - 9707A - Unclassified
- Unclassified - AJE - Unclassified
- Unclassified - SLC5012M - Unclassified
- Vishay Siliconix - Si4435DY - P-channel FET
- Weltrend Semiconductor - WT61P806 - USB controller
- Winbond - W25Q16BVS1G - Serial Flash
- Wolfson -WM8904G - Audio CODEC
Cree, STMicroelectronics fortify SiC agreement Cree Inc. and STMicroelectronics have expanded their existing multi-year, long-term silicon carbide wafer supply agreement to more than USD 500 million.
LPKF expands in Garbsen, Germany The laser specialist has started the construction of a new clean room factory for the production of glass microstructure components at its headquarters in Garbsen, Germany.
Cree, ABB form partnership for SiC technology Silicon carbide technology specialist Cree and ABB’s Power Grids business have announced a partnership to jointly expand the rollout of silicon carbide for semiconductors.
Soitec & Applied Materials to develop next-gen SiC substrates Designer and manufacturer of semiconductor materials, Soitec, is entering a joint development program with Applied Materials on next-generation silicon carbide substrates.
Sponsored content by EsemdaContract manufacturer Esemda opens new facility in Vilnius and expands EMS The new facility has been built with reserved space for future expansions. As Esemda constantly grows, it is of great importance to be able to rapidly increase production capacity in large volumes.
Swissbit to stay on top of demand with new Berlin fab Back in late July of 2018, Swissbit AG, broke ground on its new R&D and manufacturing facility in Berlin with the aim of tripling the production capacity of location. Now its already up and running.
Nuvia closes series A, eyes data center servers Santa Clara semiconductor design startup Nuvia Inc., formed earlier this year by three former top Apple Inc. design executives, has closed its series A round with USD 53 million secured.
Ingun's going global; expands in Latin America and Eastern Europe Benjamin Sontag (INGUN Prüfmittel GmbH) gave a short update on expansion plans in Latin America and Eastern Europe.
Yageo to acquire KEMET in a $1.8 billion deal Yageo Corporation and KEMET Corporation have entered into a definitive agreement under which Yageo will acquire all of the outstanding shares of KEMET’s common stock for USD 27.20 per share in an all-cash transaction valued at USD 1.8 billion.
Sponsored content by Z ElektronikaZ Elektronika opens new factory in Pécs To keep up with rapid growth of the company, on the 13th September Z Elektronika celebrated the grand opening of its new electronic design and manufacturing facility close to the highway in Pécs, Hungary, which adds new features and production site to its nearby location.
EVG and DELO partner to expand materials and process capabilities Supplier of wafer bonding and lithography equipment for the MEMS and semiconductor industry, EV Group (eVG), is partnering with DELO, a manufacturer of industrial high-tech adhesives, in the area of wafer-level optics.
Osram recommends current takeover offer from ams Osram says it has concluded a business combination with Austrian chipmaker ams and is recommending its shareholders to accept the current takeover offer.
EpiWorld speeds up commercialisation of SiC devices with AIXTRON AIXTRON SE has provided an AIX G5 WW C system to EpiWorld International Co., Ltd for the further development of next generation silicon carbide (SiC) epitaxial wafers mainly used for the manufacturing of power devices for automotive applications.
FlexEnable makes acquisition for flex displays FlexEnable, developer of flexible organic electronics, has purchased Merck's portfolio of high-performance organic thin-film transistor (OTFT) materials.
Samsung’s CPU project ends, layoffs in CA and TX Samsung has confirmed in a letter to the Texas Workforce Commission that layoffs as a result of the closure of the CPU project at the Samsung R&D Center (SARC) in Austin, Texas and the San Jose Advanced Computing Lab (ACL) in San Jose, California, will begin December 31.
Marvell completes acquisition of Avera Semi Marvell has completed its acquisition of Avera Semiconductor, the Application Specific Integrated Circuit (ASIC) business of GlobalFoundries.
IAR Systems opens office in Taiwan Swedish IAR Systems, a supplier of software tools and services for embedded development, says the company is expanding in Asia with the opening of an office in Taipei, Taiwan.
ZF and Cree partners up to advance the electric drive ZF Friedrichshafen is teaming up with silicon carbide semiconductor specialist Cree, to create industry-leading, highly efficient electric drivelines.
Broadcom completes acquisition of Symantec Enterprise Security business Semiconductor company Broadcom, says that the company has completed its acquisition of the Enterprise Security business of Symantec Corporation
AVX acquires Chengdu OK New Energy AVX Corporation says it has completed the purchase of Chengdu OK New Energy, Ltd. (COKNE).
Vesper names new SVP of worldwide sales & business development MEMS sensor company Vesper, announces that Lorenzo Ponzanelli has joined the company as senior vice president of worldwide sales and business development, overseeing sales strategy and execution to drive global growth.
Gigaphoton establishes new company in China Gigaphoton, a manufacturer of light sources used in semiconductor lithography, says it has established and started running the business of a new company – Gigaphoton China Inc. in China.
Prepare, adapt & overcome - how ‘to Brexit’ The looming, but yet unknown, effects of Brexit have forced companies to prepare for whatever may come. But how does one really prepare for unknown consequences?
Acal BFi signs pan-European agreement with Champs Technologies Acal BFi says it has added Champs Technologies to its magnetics portfolio. Acal BFi is a Europe-wide specialist technology supplier and design partner with a specialist portfolio of magnetic cores and inductive components products and services.Load more news